For the things we have to learn
before we can do them,
we learn by doing them.
Welcome to Andy Hung's Website, designed for everyone to enjoy and to improve your bridge!
Bridge Lessons: To find Andy's upcoming bridge lessons and workshops, click here or simply check his calendar on the right.
[News] What's Happening With Andy
Apologies for the delayed update on the website. Andy is heading to Goa, India, to compete in the 2018 Asia Cup, representing the Australian Open Team. If you'd like to keep up to date of the tournament result, you can visit the tournament website here: http://asiabridgecup.com/
Also, Andy has finalised the bridge holiday towards the latter half of the year. It will be in Hervey Bay - see below for details!
Hervey Bay Bridge Holiday (November 18th - 23rd, 2018)
Andy Hung invites you to a getaway Bridge Holiday in Hervey Bay at the 4½ star Oceans Resort & Spa, perfectly situated on the waterfront opposite the Urangan Beach Pier! Hervey Bay, named after an English Casanova, is one of Queensland's best natural holiday destinations, often called the jewel in Queensland’s Crown, it also has convenient access to Fraser Island; the world's largest sand island.
Flyers will be distributed to most bridge clubs around Australia, but to see it now, click here.
(1) The following Bridge Holidays have been confirmed as a goer. There are still places available, so secure your booking now while you still can!
For more information about these holidays, visit the Bridge Holidays Page!
Noosa (May 13 - 18, 2018)
Berlin/Potsdam (Germany), and Prague (Czech Republic)
(1) Andy and Sartaj came second in the Open Team Playoffs (short of winning by 1 IMP!). The top three pairs form the 2018 Australian Open Team. The results can be found here.
(2) New bridge holidays have been planned for 2018. Check out the Bridge Holidays page for more information!
(3) More lessons have been organised for 2018. Keep a look out on the Calendar or the Bridge Teaching page (or this front page) for updates!
(4) Have a safe and a happy Christmas everyone!
(1) New lessons and workshops have been added to the calendar (and the teaching page here). Be sure to check it out!
(2) Quizzes will now be updated regularly!
(3) Check out Andy's Bridge Holiday plans for 2018!
(4) Andy will be playing with Sartaj in the upcoming Australian Open Team Playoffs from Nov 11-16. If you'd like to see how he's doing, click here for the results!
(5) Andy is now a regular contributor for the ABF Newsletter, as he writes a column on how to improve your bridge conventions! Click here for the November newsletter.
(1) Andy's Tweed Heads (Gold Coast) Bridge Holiday is confirmed to run. Secure your booking now while you still can!
Tweed Heads (Gold Coast) Bridge Holiday (Oct 29th - Nov 3rd, 2017)
Andy Hung invites you to a fantastic getaway Bridge Holiday at Tweed Heads, located on the NSW border 35 minutes’ drive south of Surfers Paradise. There will be four fantastic bridge workshops, aiming to improve your declarer play techniques in both NT's and Suit Contracts! Alongside the lessons, there will also be duplicate sessions with hand analysis.
For the bridge holiday flyer, click here.
(2) Andy is currently planning a Bridge Holiday in Europe next year (2018). Stay tuned for more details!
(1) Andy's website is now fixed! You can view the past quiz problems and solutions on the Quiz page, and there will be new weekly quizzes posted on the homepage (on the right hand column)!
(2) The Tweed Heads (Gold Coast) Bridge Holiday is definitely a goer! For more information about this great holiday, take a look at the Bridge Holidays page.
Andy is fixing his website, hoping to get more frequent updates and new quizzes!
(1) Andy and his team won the 2017 Gold Coast Congress Open Teams Championships!!
(L to R): Michael Whibley, Liam Milne, Nye Griffiths, Daniel Braun (npc), Roger Lee, Andy Hung, and Kornel Lazar.
(2) Apologies for the lack of updates for the Weekly Quizzes. There is a seriously annoying webpage bug that I'm trying fix!
Website is now finally fixed! Apologies for the wait - lots of updates coming up.
(1) Lessons and Workshops have been updated (check the Bridge Teaching page, or the calendar on the right).
(2) I can now confirm that the Noosa Bridge Holiday is definitely going. There are still plenty of spots available, so book in for a great relaxing getaway!
(3) The St. Petersburg Bridge Holiday for this year is almost a goer (the flyer says that the holiday will be confirmed as proceeding or not by 15th May - however, it is likely that we will be confirming very soon! Never been to Russia? Now's your perfect chance with this great holiday package! Note that there is an EARLY BIRD SPECIAL if you book before 20th March!
(4) The Summer Festival of Bridge in Canberra was held in January. Andy's team (consisted of Andy Hung, Liam Milne, Sartaj Hans, Sophie Ashton, Shane Harrison, and Nathan van Jole) was seeded 10th (out of 126), and with 9 wins, one draw, and two losses, they came third in the South-West Pacific Teams (their most notable result was beating the famous world class Italian Lavazza team by 41 IMPs!). They then qualified for the Quarter-Finals which they won, but unfortunately lost in the Semi-Finals against the strong American/Polish team Milner.
Happy New Year everyone! Andy apologises for the lack of website update - there's a slight problem with the website, and will be fixed very shortly.
Andy is planning more Bridge Holidays for 2017!
Noosa Bridge Holiday (May 7 - May 12)
St. Petersburg Bridge Holiday (September 29 - October 8)
Head over to the Bridge Holidays section here for more information!
Andy has now been recognised as a part of the ABF Honorary Teaching Fellow!
The ABF Teachers’ Accreditation Program (TAP) was launched in 2015 and continues to be very successful at bringing in new teachers and developing skills of both new and established teachers.
The ABF is now also looking to provide recognition and credentials to outstanding teachers who have a long and successful teaching history. These experienced teachers will be highly skilled, generally with a distinguished record in high level play, having won national titles and/or represented Australia internationally. They may also have strong coaching skills and will certainly possess the necessary interpersonal and communication skills to teach bridge at all levels.
We are offering one-off recognition to a small number of these very experienced professionals. This new program, acknowledging the contribution of “ABF Honorary Teaching Fellows” is separate from, but in addition to, the current ABF Accreditation program.
You can check it out here.
Two workshops will be held at the Kings and Queens Bridge Club (Sydney), on Nov 23 and Dec 1. Check the calendar on the right, or the Bridge Teaching page for more info!
Upcoming bridge workshops at Toowong Bridge Club (Brisbane), Surfers Paradise Bridge Club (Gold Coast), and North Shore Bridge Club (Sydney). Check the calendar on the right, or the Bridge Teaching page for more info!
After returning from Europe, Andy flew straight to Sydney and competed in the 2016 Spring National Open Teams. After qualifying first in the Swiss, Andy and his team then went on to win their Semi-Finals match, and then pulled through the Finals to victory!
(L to R: Nye Griffiths, Andy Hung, Liam Milne, Sartaj Hans)
Andy has now come back from the fantastically run Bridge Holiday in St. Petersburg. For his photo collection of the holiday, go to the "Bridge Holidays" page.
Missed out on St. Petersburg? Not to worry, he is likely to organise another one in the near future!
Weekly Bidding Problem:
New Quizzes, from the recent Australian Open Playoffs!
Problem 1: (From the 2017 Australian Open Playoffs)
Three passes to you and you open 1D. Partner responds 1S.
What do you do?
Problem 2: (From the 2017 Australian Open Playoffs)
East opens 1S, West bids 2NT, an artificial bid to show 11-12 with four-card support (Jacoby 2NT, but West is a passed hand).
What do you lead?
Solutions will be posted by 3/4/18.
Click here for past quizzes.
♦ Fun facts about Andy